logo
 
?

admiral xxx

Camden County Historical Society The designer of Admiral Wilson Boulevard, landscape architect and civil engineer Charles Wellford Leavitt, was a follower of the City Beautiful Movement.

This urban planning philosophy held that green spaces, wide boulevards, and monumental architecture were important for maintaining civic virtue in urban environments.

It began in the late 1890s as a reaction to crowded, dirty tenement housing and industrial neighborhoods and gained popularity throughout the early twentieth century.

Leavitt, who was a native of nearby Riverton, New Jersey, created this plan for Camden's future based on these principles.

Leavitt's plan included open green areas along the Cooper River, extensive public parks, and wide new boulevards lined with trees, including Admiral Wilson Boulevard.

Though Admiral Wilson Boulevard was constructed as planned, most of Leavitt's ambitious ideas were abandoned.

Historical Society of Pennsylvania From its earliest days, Admiral Wilson Boulevard held attractions for the area's motorists. opened the first drive-in movie theater on Admiral Wilson Boulevard in 1933.

He based his theater on tests he conducted in his own driveway in nearby Riverton.

Around six hundred people attended the theater's June 6 opening to see the British comedy film Wives Beware on the theater's thirty-foot by forty-foot screen.

Sound was provided by massive speakers built by Camden's RCA company.

The drive-in format became a national sensation and during its peak in the 1950s and 1960s, with thousands of drive-in theaters operating throughout the United States.

Hollingshead's patent, however, was largely ignored and he was denied royalty payments.